With all the new happenings going on in my life right now I thought a blog might help everyone stay connected with what I am doing. I hope it helps!

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Overdue...I know.

Ok, ok. I guess I just didn't think anyone was really reading this blog or would care much about what I was up to after I finally made it to Colorado. I guess I'm wrong because I've had a couple of people ask why I wasn't writing anymore. So here it is. The GRAND UPDATE!!

Believe it or not, I have midterms this week. What?! YIKES! That means I have a quiz in Sanskrit, a team project and paper due for my Contemplative Hinduism class with my friend Amy (it's on the Upanishads) and a 6-8 page paper due on Science v. Religion. You could say I'm a little overwhelmed but I'll get it done. The light at the end of the tunnel is my trip to see my beautiful niece Adison this Thursday. I'll be in Orlando for 5 days playing with her and, of course, no trip to Orlando in October goes without a visit to my favorite place in the WHOLE world, Universal Studio's Halloween Horror Nights!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait! The theme this year is Bloody Mary so it should be awesome.

Besides getting school work done, the biggest stress in my life is finding a part-time job. I have inquired at a couple of places but no hits just yet. I haven't really put in the effort yet because I don't want the job until November but I'm still a little stressed about it. It'll all work out though. Gabe just got a job with REI. Here is Boulder for you. REI did a job fair to recruit employees, they had 90 people interview for the 30 positions they were going to hire. Gabriel was so lucky he got hired. Even with a degree in Parks and Rec (the outdoor industry), there is still major competition for those positions out here. He starts training in a couple of weeks and is looking for a restaurant job in the meantime to compliment his REI schedule. It is not easy finding a job nowadays, that is for sure!

So far we have been hiking every week, cause that's what people in Boulder do:) I've been letting Gabriel pick the hikes and he has progressively kicked my ass harder and harder. Last week we celebrated Gabe's birthday and went to Rocky Mountain National Park. For those of you who know Gabe and are wondering why we were celebrating his birthday in September rather than in June, it's because his real birthday in June kinda sucked. We were moving and it didn't receive the attention it deserved. So I surprised him last week with homemade brownies (like from scratch, yo), I decorated the house, took him to a Thai dinner, got him some groovy gifts and we went hiking in RMNP which is only 40 minutes from our house! It was beautiful! On one of our hikes in Boulder we saw a black bear. In the park we saw some elk. And yesterday we saw a fox in Longmont.

Animals have been a big theme since we've been here. Our personal animals have had a bumpy ride. Sedona had to have two teeth pulled, Duncan dropped his ball in a ground hornet's nest and suffered the consequences (both of his eyes swelled shut from the stings) and Diego has now been to the vet TWICE for getting his ass kicked my a neighborhood cat. He keeps getting popped in the shoulder and on the face. I'm pretty sure I know who it is but I haven't seen it happen. I think it's the white cat in the neighborhood that doesn't have a home, some of the neighbors feed him though because his owners moved and left him:( Then, last weekend we saved a baby squirrel from our backyard and took him to a wildlife rescue center here in Longmont. We hope he is doing well. It took us almost an hour to catch that bugger and we had to fend off several neighborhood cats while doing it. He was too young to be on his own and would walk right up to us or any other animal that could potentiallly harm him.

Lately Gabriel and I have been cooking more. We go to the Farmer's Market here in Longmont almost every weekend and are trying new vegetables. Last week it was spaghetti squash, this week is butternut squash and brussel sprouts. If anyone has a good recipe for either of those, please let us know. We love our home here and feel acclimated to life in Colorado. My parents come to visit this month and I can't wait! It's gorgeous here. I drive, or ride the bus, to school each day and see the sun shine on the rockies. We would like to formally invite anyone and everyone to come visit! We have a spare bedroom with your name on it:)

I think that's it for now. I'll try to post some pictures on here when I get a chance. I love October and Halloween is just around the corner. We're having a party here on Halloween if anyone would like to come!!! We hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather as much as we are...miss you all!

4 comments:

"I'm Rachel" said...

I'll de-lurk and comment here....
1st -- thanks for the update. I love to follow along. I'm sure your fam does too.
2nd -- HALOWEEN!!! We just went to Scarowinds, rode rides, and went through at least 4 haunted houses on Friday. Not to mention all the haunted "areas" that you find yourself in... I spent the evening jumping out of my skin and it was so fun! Mike is is full-blown Halloween mode! Can't wait for the pumpkin-carving party! We'll be thinking of you during the Orlando trip!

REI rocks. Worked there when we lived in Seattle. It was so fun! I'll keep my fingers crossed for something perfect to fall in your lap. :)

Hi to Gabe!

The Drenzek Family said...

it's about damn time! thanks for the update!!!

Jenn said...

yay! of COURSE people want to know how you're doing and what's going on in your life these days!

I have a pretty awesome recipe for butternut squash pancakes, I'll email it to you :) oh, and i think I've got a squash risotto one, too...mmmm, butternut squash!

Kristen said...

thanks goodness for the post! my googlereader even dropped you, since you didn't post in over one month! (thats the geek). I am supa excited for you both:) REI is pretty fabulous, I am sure the discount is awesome too.

Keep posting or emailing, I am living vicariously through you! Safe travels to FL!

HI GABE! We miss you at the MM!!